Good to be back


Since last Monday I have started to practice again in a more meaningful way, as opposed to the odd stretch added on to the physiotherapy. Each day was better, though much is still restricted or totally impossible. L had said to come back when I was ready, so I figured after emailing her that it was as good a time as any to return to the Shala.

I’ve missed walking through the door and my glasses steaming up immediately, I’ve missed Louise and the other Assistants and missed the people I practice alongside, the nods to those you nod to, the smiles with others I know better. I’ve missed the laughs, like today’s, when the Shala toddler ran (she was only crawling last time i saw her) up to a student in Downward dog shouting “dowwndoggy”. Home alone practice just isn’t the same.

Louise just said “take it easy, no pressure”! They left me to my version of sun salutations, trying to warm up and a one hand downward dog(gy) to stretch the Calfs and hamstrings. Most of standing seems to be possible with a bit of thought about arm placement, though my Trikonasana probably looked a bit ugly and unaligned. First help came in UHP, Emma assisting both sides.

Seated has to be vinyasa free, a forward bend in between had to suffice. Super squash in Paschimottanasana and help in Tiriang Mukha. The Marichyasana’s with some decent heat were good, binding A & B on the first side and C on the second, Mari D is just a kind of twist on both sides. Baddha Konasana hasn’t changed, I just needed the squash to put it back in place, L turning up right on cue. I think Louise mostly just observed today, working out how she can best help and assist, so long as any pressure is not on the fracture site or pulling on the arm then it’s no problem.

Closing via Salabhasana A and almost B, a bit of cross arm hanging back. Enough bend to do Matsyasana and Utana P for the first time and a ten minute Savasana. Despite all the necessary omissions, Bhujapidasana, Kurmasana, Supta Kurmasana, Garbha Pindasana, Sirsasana Urdva Dhanurasana and Uth plutihi practice still managed to take 90 minutes.

Until the fracture knits properly and I get back some muscle and i can actually put weight through the arm, it’s going to be a while before I get back to where I was on 5th December, the last time I practised at AYL, but it was great to walk back through that white door.


2 Responses to “Good to be back”

  1. helenlaldred Says:

    Really glad it went well for you 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: